Dietary Precautions to Prevent Kidney Stone Formation
- Increasing fluid intake decreases urine concentration and washes away the crystals, thus preventing stone formation.
- Lemonade and orange juice contain citrate, which is beneficial in preventing stone formation. One should eat at least one orange/lemon per day.
- Animal protein increases urinary solute load, thus increasing chances of stone formation.
- High sodium (table salt) intake increases stone formation.
- Low carbohydrate-high protein-high fat diet promotes stone formation.
- Dietary calcium avoidance paradoxically increases recurrence rates. Calcium supplementation is safest when taken with meals. Milk contains the safest variety of calcium, up to half liters of milk and milk products can be safely taken.
- Excessive intake of oxalate rich foods like spinach, tomatoes, beets, chocolates, nuts and tea promote stone formation. The consumption of above food should be curtailed.
- Vitamin C should be restricted to < 2 gm per day.