Do’s and Don’ts To Prevent Coronavirus Infection after Lockdown
Corona has become a major health emergency all over the world. There are very few countries which could have escaped this. This virus can spread via direct droplet related infection from air or indirectly, if the secretions falls on a particular surface like Table, Pen, Mobile phone etc and once we touch them, dust particles with microorganisms called as Fomites get attached to hard surfaces and they enter either by direct coughing or fomite to face.
Clinical presentations of COVID-19 range from no symptoms (asymptomatic) to severe pneumonia; severe disease can lead to death.
The common symptoms can be –
- Fever and Dry Cough in 60% of cases
- Body pain and weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste and smell
There are no vaccines available and there is little evidence on the effectiveness of potential therapeutic agents. In addition, there is presumably no pre-existing immunity in the population against the new corona virus and everyone in the population is assumed to be susceptible. While the majority of cases (80%) are milder respiratory infections and pneumonias, severe illness and death is more common among the elderly with other chronic underlying conditions, with these risk groups accounting for the majority of severe disease and fatalities to date.
Do’s and Don’ts to prevent Corona virus infection (especially in elderly people even after opening of lockdown):
- Continue Self-isolation of elderly patients without direct contact with outside world.
- Wash your hands atleast 6 to 8 times and spend atleast 20 sec washing.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Continue Coughing into elbow (tissue and Handkerchiefs are to be avoided).
- Avoid close contact with people suffering from cough and cold and keep atleast 1 metre distance.
- Maintain Social Distancing for few weeks more.
- Avoid large gatherings like Social events, Burial Ceremonies, Religious Places etc. Avoid travel on bus train or air.
- Regular exercise yoga and strict control of sugars and BP go a long way in decreasing the severity of coronavirus.