Everything about Anxiety Disorders
Getting Anxious is a normal emotion, everyone feels it now and then. People become worried when faced a problem at home, office while making an important decision or taking a test.
Though, anxiety disorder is different, as it interferes with your capability to lead a happy peaceful life. People who have constant fear or worry of insignificant things are a victim of anxiety disorder. This type of disorder is a common mental illness. Anxiety has many different types and in some cases, people have one or more type of anxiety disorders. With proper treatment, it can be managed and people can get back to a normal fulfilling life.
Different Types of Anxiety Disorders?
Generalized anxiety disorder. People living with this disorder have unrealistic, excessive worry and tension.
Panic disorder. People living with this disorder have a feeling of fear that strikes unexpectedly and repeatedly with no warnings. It has symptoms of chest pain, irregular heartbeats, sweating and a feeling of choking. It can feel make you feel like having a heart attack.
Specific phobias. These are fears of a specific situation or object, for instance, fear of heights or flying. The fear may cause you to avoid everyday situations.
Social anxiety disorder. Also known as social phobia, this involves irresistible worry and self-consciousness about everyday situations. The fear of being judged by others, or acting in a way that might cause awkwardness or lead to laughter.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders?
Symptoms of anxiety depend on its type, but general symptoms include:
- Feelings of some mishappening and fear
- Rapid heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling of impending doom or death
- Disturbed sleep
- Sweaty and cold hands or feet
- Not being able to be still and calm
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
Causes of Anxiety Disorders?
There are multiple causes of anxiety disorders like hypo/ hyperthyroidism, Vitamin deficiency, Mineral deficiency genetic cause, disturbed brain chemistry and environmental stress. In most of the cases of anxiety disorder are caused by combination of multiple factors like
- Physical and sexual abuse
- Ongoing stressful situations
- Physical health problems (hypo/ hyperthyroidism, Vitamin deficiency)
- Genetic factors
- Shyness in case of social anxiety
- Learned behavior in case of phobias
How Are Anxiety Disorders Diagnosed?
If there are symptoms of an anxiety disorder, the doctor will evaluate your problem by asking you certain questions about your medical and psychological history. A complete physical examination is required to rule out immediate medical condition causing anxiety symptoms.
Treatment of Anxiety Disorders
Treatment Options depends on the type of disorder, one or a combination of the following therapies may be used for most anxiety disorders:
- Pharmacotherapy (Medication)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dietary and lifestyle changes
- Relaxation therapy
Can Anxiety Disorders Be Prevented?
Anxiety disorders can be control by using the following tips:
- Reduce consumption caffeine, and its related products, such as tea, coffee, chocolate, cola, energy drinks, alcohol, cannabis and other drugs etc.
- Regular exercise and a healthy diet can also prevent anxiety disorder to an extent.
- Before taking any over-the-counter medicines or herbal remedies, consult your doctor, as many of them contain chemicals that can increase anxiety symptoms.
- Counselling / Stress management can also help.