Obesity – A Silent Killer and an Emerging Health Problems in India.
Obesity is an emerging health issue across the globe. Obesity increases your risks for many health problems including diabetes, hypertension etc. Weight-loss surgeries make changes to your digestive system which helps you lose weight by restricting the amount of food intake. It is beneficial to go for a weight loss surgery in Delhi/NCR when diet and exercise haven’t worked or when you have serious health issues associated with your weight.
Weight-loss surgery is popularly known as bariatric surgery. Gastric bypass is the most common types of bariatric surgery because it has fewer complications in comparison to other weight-loss surgeries. Dr. Vijender Gupta, Sr. Consultant, Laparoscopic, Bariatric & General surgery at the Metro Hospital Faridabad talks about obesity and its effects on your health.
Health Risks Associated with Obesity
Gastroesophageal reflux, severe sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, infertility and irregular periods, non-alcoholic fatty liver etc are common problems associated with overweight.
Who are the ideal candidates for bariatric surgery?
- When your BMI is more than 40.
- When your BMI is more than 35 and you have a serious weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea. BMI is calculated using a person’s height and weight: Weight In Kg / (Height in M)²
- Documented failure of non-surgical weight loss programs
- Psychologically stable with realistic expectations
- Absence of uncontrolled psychotic or depressive disorder.
- No active alcohol or substance abuse
- A well-informed and motivated patient
Types of Bariatric Surgeries
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Mini gastric bypass.
Risks associated with bariatric surgery is very low, as only 1 % of chances of infection is there, so it is a very safe procedure.
The benefit of bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery offers people significant and sustained weight loss, some of the other benefits include:
- Bariatric surgery is highly effective for obese patients with type 2 diabetes, allowing patients to reduce their requirement of insulin and medication.
- Improved cardiovascular health, your potential risks of heart diseases and stroke reduce.
- Weight loss surgery improves fertility during the childbearing years.
- Generally, people consider obesity as a social stigma because of poor body image. People who are overweight find it hard to participate in activities they enjoy, leading to social separation and depression. Losing this extra weight can help them by improving their emotional health.
- Carrying around excessive weight puts a lot of pressure on your joints, causing severe pain and joint damage. “The significant weight loss occurs after bariatric surgery relieves the stress on joints and often allows people to stop using pain medications and enjoy much more mobility,
With obesity rising at an alarming rate, bariatric surgery proves to be an influential tool for providing relief to obese people with the best health checkup, Faridabad.
The author of this article is Dr. Vijender Gupta, he is a Senior Consultant in GI, Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery department at Metro Heart Institute with Multispecialty. He has done more than 20,000 laparoscopy surgeries and 2,000 single incision surgeries.