When You Need Bypass Surgery?
Understanding Bypass Surgery And Its Need When Coronary Angioplasty (stent) Is Not An Option.
What is heart bypass surgery?
Heart Bypass surgery is an open heart procedure done by the best cardiologist, Faridabad which is done when the blood vessels supplying blood to the heart are completely blocked. The procedure involves removing an artery from within the chest or the forearm or a vein and using this to create a new bypass around the blockage which allows blood to reach the heart again. A double, triple or quadruple bypass refers to the number of heart arteries that are bypassed.
In many cases, coronary artery disease can be treated with less invasive procedures like angioplasty where a stent is placed to open a blocked artery. After angioplasty or bypass surgery, major lifestyle changes like diet modification and exercise are necessary for all patients.
Why patient needs bypass surgery?
- Severe chest pain even during rest or light work caused by narrowing of the arteries.
- Patient has more than one diseased coronary artery, and the heart’s main pumping chamber, the left ventricle is not functioning properly.
- Left main coronary artery is severely blocked. This artery supplies most of the blood to the left ventricle.
- Patient has been earlier treated with angioplasty (stenting) or ballooning to widen the blocked artery but it has narrowed again.
- When an additional problem in the heart needs to be addressed in addition to the bypass surgery – leaking valve or rupture of one cardiac chamber into another.
Cardiac Surgery has become a safe option even in some critically ill patients and can help them lead a near normal life, free from disabling chest pain or breathlessness on exertion. Metro heart institute with multi-speciality has the most experienced team of cardiothoracic surgeons and anaesthetists who are capable of handling any emergency.